Friday, April 30, 2010

Content.

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:31 - GYRO

Have you ever just felt completely content with life? I got that feeling tonight, while stretching at the park after a quick three miles. This whole training process has brought encouragement, empowerment, strength and clarity.

My first stop in this long-distance running journey begins on Sunday at 8:30 a.m. - the Broad Street Run! I will be running the streets of Philadelphia with 30,000 fellow runners and my good friend, Julie! I'm ready. strong. focused. determined. From what I've read about this race, it's really inspiring to see a mass of runners running down Broad Street. I'm really excited to be a part of it. I'm still determining whether I want to set a time goal for this race. Of course, my first goal is to finish. When I signed up I predicted that I would finish in 1:40 - 10 minute miles exactly. Last week when I did 9 miles I finished in 1:31 minutes, but I didn't stop my watch for several cross walk lights. I think with those lights I could have shaved off at least 6 minutes or so. I am just going to go out there and do the best I can. I'm hoping to finish in under 1:40. I think I can run consistent 9:30 minute miles. Maybe the beautiful weather, adrenaline and the crowd will help me run faster. We'll see.

To help me prepare for the race I've really been focusing on eating right and drinking plenty of water this week. I have cut junk food out (besides for a few pieces of candy and no Double Downs or Red Robin bacon cheeseburgers this week!) and have really made a good effort to eat a balanced, healthy diet. In terms of training I rested on Sunday and Monday, ran 6 miles on Tuesday, did Body Pump on Wednesday, rested on Thursday and ran 3 miles tonight and stretched. Tomorrow I'm going to do RPM to spin out some lactic acid of my legs and stretch a lot. After RPM, Julie and I are headed to Lincoln Financial Field for the race expo. We'll pick up our racing numbers, timing device and t-shirt! Gotta love the shirts!

On another running note, I am really excited that Anna and Kat, two of my coworkers, have decided to train for a 5k! They are following the Couch to 5k plan and I am so proud! I look forward to watching their progress!!

Peace. Love. Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment